I really only love hang-gliding..

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Col.r

I really only love hang-gliding..

Post by Col.r »

I guess it was only a matter of time. My/your foot launched, weight shift hang-glider has been well and truly superseded. These stupidly easy to learn,pack up and pack away and land ram-air canopies are the most popular means to experience free flight. Becoming even more dominant because for any hg students their needed mentors are ageing out. My/your national magazines has matched the times too and seeing also the increase in articles here about hang glider pilots doing great, going over to paragliding. The Facebook page is about 20% paragliding now-watch that increase and I guess you need to stay relevant/viewers.
So with that in mind I thought of an improved title page..
InkedScreenshot 2021-06-27 at 09-57-58 (15) Oz Report Facebook_LI num1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars. MT.

Youtube videos- Col Rushton
Fabiano

Re: I really only love hang-gliding..

Post by Fabiano »

Whether intended or not that red paraglider seems to be running into some sort of trouble with slack lines or something!! :)
Doggie

Post by Doggie »

I really only love hang gliding as well young Colin. And as you know, I fly lots of stuff. My attraction to PG was primarily due to the ease of travel with said “bag of laundry”. They are quite different to fly compared to a HG, and I can’t say I love ram air flight just yet, but it’s not bad.
After our Pre Worlds dramas with transporting gliders to and from Italy, I doubt I will ever travel OS with a HG again.

PS - I think the red PG dude might be me !!
Col.r

Post by Col.r »

Hello again Mr all-rounder, you know, I'll argue well to the climate change deniers, the conspiracy theorists,corrupt politicians,the fake-news media etc but you can't change facts.Give me a few more years on my sports wing and then another downgrade to a floater wing. After that maybe a pg? That's my plan.

We are out of lockdown midnight tonight,just wondering could Canungra Classic be a maybe in 4 weeks time?
Be sure good to catch up mate..

CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Remember, there's only one letter between a pg and a pig, and it is I.
Only I can make a pig fly, and I choose not.
Not at this time, no thank you, I'll keep my spine.
Some pigs are flying, but not close to me.
I punch the accelerator and again I am free!
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

CloudHopper wrote: Sat, Sep 11 2021, 07:14:31 am Remember, there's only one letter between a pg and a pig, and it is I....
And there is only one letter between an HG and an HUG.
I hug my sky-hugger every time I want to feel the air.

Seriously, I enjoy the company of PGs, HGs & motorized Swifts/Acaehyoperix where I fly.
Phonetically,there isn't much difference between 'pilot' and 'pileup'.
The only bags of wind that concern me are those beneath our respective crafts.
Col.r

Post by Col.r »

That is better said than I could have replied-thanks JD..

BilleFly

Post by BilleFly »

I'm OK with paragliders , (bin doing it since 1989) ; but last
Saturday ,at CSS, me and my Atos had 2000-ft altitude, over
the highest PG , flying Martial, that day. Best part was :
I Didn't have one collapse, the entire flight ; the Atos,
doesn't do that !!!

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!
Jfritsche+69

Post by Jfritsche+69 »

I love both, though I prefer HG. This much I know: except at aerotow-only airstrips, you all better get used to PGs and find a way to peacefully coexist with them, because their population is exploding and young; and ours is dwindling and aging. PGs are opening new sites like crazy all over the world. They have dozens of manufacturers to choose from; while for all practical purposes we have about 5. They have far more competitions than we do. Even here in WI, PG energy and enthusiasm blows the HG pilots' away. They're using all the foot-launch sites that HGs have refused to fly for 20+ years and have a beautiful, Rolls-Royce of a payout towing winch. The HG tow park here shuts down completely from November through April. The PGs here fly every chance, every day all winter long in temps as low as 15-20 degrees: training hill, towing, ridge soaring. They organize group trips all over the world about 3X year. Since I PG too, I understand all of its positives (and remain weary of its negatives). BUT....

I CAN'T understand the extent to how fast PG is growing in comparison to HG. I mean, it's not even close. This saddens me, but I accept that's the way it will be for the foreseeable near future, and I'm glad I have both options.
David Williamson

Post by David Williamson »

The P/Gs may be opening up new sites all over the place but round here they have taken at least three sites from the hangliders (one of which held the British championships, BITD). They have been able to afford to pay for the sites for commercial use and hangliding is no longer allowed, just P/G training. Can you still hanglide at Torrey?
Paragliding.........it's almost like flying.
Previous topicNext topic