flying site locations for Google Earth

For discussion of any issues surrounding hang gliding and paragliding sites.
Previous topicNext topic
Scare!
Site Admin
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (eh!) [49.8953,-97.1385,somewhere in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada]

flying site locations for Google Earth

Post by Scare! »

Just click on the link below and "Save To My Places" when Google Earth comes up. Its contents will be updated whenever we add to our master list.

http://OzReport.com/data/sites.link.kmz

If you can pinpoint launch or landing sites that we don't have yet, or flight parks, please use Google Earth to email that placemark to the email address in the description of the folder. Please include a web URL in the description field of the placemark if possible, and mention what country & state/province it's in. If you locate a bunch of sites please put them in a folder and send that.

I'd really appreciate it though if you don't just grab a copy of the whole thing, change a few or a few dozen things in it, and send the whole thing back to me saying you updated "many things". With over a thousand items in it I CAN'T go through both your copy of it and mine (and other people's) looking for changes. and I can't just switch to using your version because it's likely stuff has been added or changed since whenever you got your copy. Please only send me the item's you've modified, together in one folder.

Alternatively, if you don't want to run the program yourself, you can post exact latitude/longitude coordinates here. We'd rather have it the other way though!

The sites can be viewed online, no program required except the web browser you're using right now, at http://ozreport.com/sitesmap.php . You can also find & submit site locations.

There are 1961 placemarks as of 2006-12-21.
Last edited by Scare! on Thu, Dec 21 2006, 12:05:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
Peer

Post by Peer »

Hello, this is a very good idea !!
Where can I get the hangglider icon for google Earth ?

Peer
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://www.entflogen.de
Scare!
Site Admin
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (eh!) [49.8953,-97.1385,somewhere in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada]

Post by Scare! »

Dawson

Gliders in Flight

Post by Dawson »

Somewhere on this forum, someone posted a challenge to find a hang glider in flight in Google Earth.

I can't find that thread, but I think I've found a bunch of paragliders, and maybe one hang glider in flight. I really should be working, but...

See the attached file.

Each of them are near to one of the launches already in the o.r. site list, and you can see gliders set up at launch nearby. One of the links included appears to be another launch site with 3 gliders set up, one flex, 2 rigid.

Dawson.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Oh, you find them at Elsinore and at Torrey Pines.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Davis wrote:Oh, you find them at Elsinore and at Torrey Pines.
I can see a jumbo just behind Edwards LP at Elsinore, but I can't see any gliders.

At torrey pines, it looks like there's one paraglider ground handling, two set up ready to launch, and 5 hang gliders set up at the top of the hill, but I can't see any that look like they are in flight.

Do you have a .kmz, or the co-ordinates at either of a glider in the air?

Dawson
Dawson

Torrey Pines

Post by Dawson »

Ok, there it is.

I just found the PG flying at Torrey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scare!
Site Admin

Re: Two Much Trouble's post

Post by Scare! »

Well done! Those are all near a listed site at Bassano, Italy. Any one you know?

I've seen quite a few more in the thousand-ish sites I've marked in the main site list. Here's a few I remembered offhand...
Dawson

Re: Two Much Trouble's post

Post by Dawson »

Scare wrote:Well done! Those are all near a listed site at Bassano, Italy. Any one you know?

I've seen quite a few more in the thousand-ish sites I've marked in the main site list. Here's a few I remembered offhand...
True, most of them are near the listed site at Bassano, Italy, one of them is near another listed site, Schnifis, Austria.

I don't know these sites, I've only flown in Australia. The only site that I've flown which has hi-resolution imagery available in GE is Bald Hill at Stanwell Park but there's no one flying in it.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

There's about 5 or so pg's in flight near Roquebrune in France?
Previous topicNext topic