Manilla: Godfrey's paradise goes upscale + Oz Travel Guide

For discussion of any issues surrounding hang gliding and paragliding sites.
Fred Wilson

Manilla: Godfrey's paradise goes upscale + Oz Travel Guide

Post by Fred Wilson »

See my reply to Davis + Updated Nov 12th 2011

Manilla NSW Australia: http://www.flymanilla.com/ or http://www.manillaparagliding.com/
Godfrey's paradise is going upscale, bit by bit.
A salt water pool was completed today in the pilot campground.
Godfrey had the first ceremonial dip yesterday and it is already toasty warm.
I've donated an old XS that he, one day, will hang over the pool for kids to use as a swing / diving platform.

Godfrey has some further ideas in mind and will announce them when appropriate.

Manilla is (IMHO) one of the top 5 flying sites on planet earth.
See the GetAway TV Show Episode on Manilla here.

Godfeys Flight Park is Paradise. Period.
$45 per week per person camping,
$20 + per night cabins,
He rents Oz cells and radios;
Campground features swimming pool, wi-fi coverage plus fixed computer in the shack, washrooms, showers, two fully outfitted kitchens; and sheltered BBQ pit.

(Plus Godfrey stocks everything Paraglider's could want or imagine...)

Read more: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.ph ... z1htOL9kTB

You take the commuter train right from the Airport straight to the Central Station Country Link train, by a ticket from there to Manilla.
The train stops at Tamworth and the Country Link bus is there waiting to take you 5 minutes later straight to the pilots main base - the royal Hotel & pub in Manilla. ($25 per night Hotel Rooms.)

The car lot right next door to the Royal Hotel is Royal Autos: 38 Strafford St Manilla, NSW, 2346 Ph: 011-(0)-2-6785-2345 Fax: 011-(0)-6785 2345.
Royal Autos will sell you a car and will, by prior arrangement, buy it back from you when you leave. - Just make sure what you buy has Registration for your full trip stay.
- Then all you need to get is car insurance, available from the Automobile Association kitty corner across the street.

BUT, you might NOT NEED ONE! Godfrey has TWO 4WD Diesel Landcuisers, that do nothing but drive pilots up to launch from the flight park and/or retrieve them the west bailout LZ.
- All you have to do is arrange XC retrieve. Usually easy to do.

Read this good 2004 article about flying in Manilla written by Dr. Amir Izadi, HPAC BoD Member and HPAC Web Team member.
Attachments
manilla.pdf
(322.91 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Wed, Dec 28 2011, 09:56:52 pm, edited 21 times in total.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Now if someone (not necessarily Godfrey) would just fix the launches so that they are safe for hang gliders.
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Oh damn! I knew I forgot something!

DONE! Davis.

3 days a week for the last two weeks we've been brushing and falling trees prior to the NSW State Titles & XC Open... to get them to acceptable standards.
Tim (GodreyÅ› workaholic slave) has about 10 minutes work with a brusher getting the last few shrubs cleared from in front of the PG launch area on the east launch.
He was just knackered spent tonight and had nothing left to do even that last little bit.

Bye the bye, there were several large classifiable ¨danger trees¨ and dead snags on the east HG launch that even I would not touch ... and as a kid I was a professional logger.
Tim had to climb to the top of each and top them limb by limb before falling them.
I told Godfrey he owes him a special thank you for this. Diinner out, something special as a thanks from me and all of us.
I also said that if kid ever needs a job reference there will be one from me presto vita.

Tim was absolutely knackered tired due to his epic / bulldozer work and that kid still had a smile on, beaming from ear to ear.
Anyone would jump at the chance to add this sort of bloke to their work team environment.

Hopefully in the future they can get permission to drop 4 small trees at the far south end of the west launch that, within a few of years, will be getting in the way. 15 minutes work tops.

Manilla's Borah West Paragliding Launch. The old Hang Gliding launch is 200m north of it.
Attachments
BorahWestLaunchPanorama.jpg
BorahWestLaunchPanorama.jpg (117.95 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri, Feb 08 2013, 02:54:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

And the next most crucial step is shaping the launches so they aren't just flat on top then steep at the edge. BTW, any accidents on launch this year at the NSW State Titles?
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

In Side Dents? None.

Noting Davis here is talking mostly about the monster big Paraglider launch on the West face.
100m North of it is an excellent HG launch, also carpeted. Its could benefit from a touch up too: Some dirt fill, then re-install the carpets.
The South Launch, the East HG Launch and the NE (Hang Gliding) Launch area at the far right of launch are just fine. Good decent slopes.

The launch surface there has settled over the past 20 years of use and a few rocks now project up on either side of the runway.
> Splash said: Seems Davis is not impressed but you are.

Davis is a tow freak. Me thinks he couldn't foot launch if his life depended on it.
If y'all listened only to Davis, you'd almost think "go to Oz to tow inland or don't go!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-hvIEb ... ature=plcp

Me? IMHO Borah = One of the best / easiest foot launch sites on planet earth. $185,000 has gone into launch;
- let alone how much for the two roads up to it and the Saddle connector road to the West Launch!
- Sheesh Davis... You do Em-Bare-ASss the hell out of yourself from thyme to time. Image

If they ever start human cloning, Godfrey should be candidate #1.

I asked Godfrey and Bob Smith if they could:
A. Add a middle rack with good padded to the Borah Bashers (the Landcrusers) then increase the height of the front rack so that glider support is level from end to end.
The Carbon Blade Wing crowd is reluctant to use them as is now.

B. Bob Smith has a tractor drawn rock picker that can pick up rocks the size of luggage.
- 1. The West bailout PG Lz slopes down to the SW corner, meaning lots of ground skimming by HGers.
It also needs N-S and E-W landing strips cleared of rocks and ankle twisters. There are rocks scattered all over the darn field there.
As is, it makes you right nervous when landing.

- 2. The far East HG bombout (at the lone tree turnoff to Borah) also needs a N-S landing strip cleared of hazard rocks hidden in the grass.

- in both cases only a light surface cleaning is needed. No need to dig deep.

For hangies see the local club website at: http://www.mss.org.au/

He's swamped busy, but I hope they can find time to fix up this last resort West LZ at least in order to encourage more HG visitors.

As a side note, the new love of his live is a travel agent from Sydney. IMHO she's a keeper!
So if you want to express your gratitude and support to Godfrey think about booking your trips through her.
- I asked if he could put a link to her business contact info onto his website to help folks like us.

This is that AWEFUL West Paragliding Launch Davis is talking about (before it was carptetted) shown in strong conditions.
Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri, Nov 27 2015, 05:04:43 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Bye the bye, tow launch addicts in general but Ozzie tow freaks in particular really need to brush up their foot launch skills.
Yikers!

But frankly it would cost a bloody fortune to steepen up the flatter Paragliding West Launch area here.
Nobodies got that sort of toy money. There are decent HG launches in every wind direction now, given the most basic foot launching skills.

If you can´t run more than 4 steps no matter what, best advice I ever got (John Huddart) ¨There is always another day.¨

I have a ruddy hard time blaming the launches for poor launches off any of the four directions here.
Ever last one one I have seen has been absolutely, clearly, unequivitably 100% pilot error.

Pic SW of Bingara, looking north, half way towards Mt Kaputar.

Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri, Nov 27 2015, 05:17:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

I consider them the worse launches I have ever seen. Even worse than Laragne. The former hang glider launch on the west side to the right of the main launch can easily be rebuilt and improved.
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Sheesh Well... there yuh goes. I consider them amoungst the better ones... and I've been flying all over the world for 35 years.
(Noting I DID say the West HG launch needs a quick fix.)

But: it would be a pretty sad world if we all had the same personality. Can't imagine being stuck in a world with only 6 Billion Fred Wilsons to talk to. YUCK!

PS Davis, add me to your supporters list. Have been for years, chucked another 20 at you at Forbes.
Bye chum! Sure appreciate your website, forums, Ozzie newsletter work, primo weather forecasts at comps, scoring services and on and on and on.
Nicesly done!

A beautiful panoramic view of the Bingara Valley, 105 Km north of Borah launch.

Two of the three "house" Bingara - Warialda cloud streets that can be found here, with the east street just starting up.
The west street which ends just south of Bingara is just out of view in this pic:

Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri, Feb 08 2013, 02:34:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Indeed you did. Didn't I add you then?
Fred Wilson

Post by Fred Wilson »

Forgot to mention Mark Russell who provided his chainsaw and back muscles to do most of the clearing on the South and South East launches before the NSW State Titles.
FYI Mark is a Chiropractor in Gunneda, flies a Litespeed, and is gung ho into learning all he can about competing.

Tip of the hat!

The North East Paragliding Launch at Borah:
(The steeper Hang Gliding Launch is just off to the right of this picture.)

Last edited by Fred Wilson on Fri, Feb 08 2013, 02:39:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic