Glider Certification and HG Comps

A place to list & talk about excuses to get together and fly!
Previous topicNext topic
Stephmet

Glider Certification and HG Comps

Post by Stephmet »

I have been flying since 2004 and would like to start competing in sanctioned sport class competitions to work on my skills, more than anything else. I wanted to fly my Northwing Freedom; however, it is not a certified glider – if I read the CIVL and USHGPA rules correctly, the glider would not be eligible to be flown in a sanctioned sport class competition – does anyone know if my read on this is correct? Any ideas on why the Freedom is not certified? Thanks for any inputs.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

No worries. Are you in the US?
Stephmet

Post by Stephmet »

Yes. I do almost all of my flying with Kitty Hawk in NC (AT at the Currituck County Airport) and was looking at the Midwest Comp south of Chicago for starters. It looks like a beginner friendly competition.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

You might also want to try out the ECC in Maryland.

http://ozreport.com/uscompetitiondates.php
Stephmet

Post by Stephmet »

ECC was my first choice because of proximity but I will likely have a work conflict (I projected my work schedule to July) that will keep me from being able to take that week off. Just to confirm, there are no prohibitions with scoring, etc. that prevent the use of the glider since it is not certified (my alternative is to fly an Ultrasport)? Do you have any insight into why the Freedom is not HGMA certified? I doubt it has anything to do with the glider. It is pretty amazing glider. My only complaint would be that it likes to skid a little on tow.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

These are Category 2 competitions. CIVL is very little to nothing to say about them. I have no idea why it isn't certified, but that's Kamron for you.
Stephmet

Post by Stephmet »

Thanks for the clarification of CIVL's role. On a side note - is the Rob Kells memorial a beginner friendly comp and are there any resources / things that you can recommend (including specific threads on the site) for someone who has never participated in a comp? In the sport class, how much success is attributable to glider vs. pilot skill (especially with the broad options of wings).
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

The Rob Kells always has a good sport class competition. You'll enjoy yourself.

You can search through the Oz Report for background info.

It's all pilot skill. We handicap the gliders.
Previous topicNext topic