Irresponsible PPG Operators are Dangerous

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Davis
Site Admin

Re: Irresponsible PPG Operators are Dangerous

Post by Davis »

Yes, I assume that the white canopy was the reserve and the multi-colored one was the main. Look at the lines in the main. Does look like a paraglider to me.
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

More information and photos: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/12/c ... fatal.html

I own an ADS-B receiver that is powered by a mobile device such as a cell phone.
An app is loaded onto the mobile device which provides collision warning, etc.
https://uavionix.com/products/pingusb/
I've never used it in case anyone wants to buy mine for cheap and test it.
Martin

Post by Martin »

"See and be Seen" is really all we have. A passive black box that receives everything would be wonderful but as far as I know, nobody has done it. The ADS-B receiver would be interesting to check out but it would not cover the more common Mode-C/S, Flarm, Fanet, LiveTrack, or what ever holy grail that may exist. FLARM has the greatest potential but the GA industry is already saddled with so much avionics junk you could not expect any participation.

Head on a swivel, good scanning techniques and improving your visibility to others is your only insurance. Flying an ATOS or flying a smoke colored flex, your invisible. Even a brightly colored PG, just below the horizon, air to air is going to blend in. XC pilots should consider some sort of "strobe light" or visual aid. They should also be fully aware of traffic potential base on airspace.

Martin
NMERider

Post by NMERider »

I trust hang gliders less than powered air traffic.
Two fellow club members from last week:

phpBB [video]
Martin

Post by Martin »

Oh, my...... (followed by a bucket full of unrestrained expletives ).......
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

youtube screen shot above.....at least the lower pilot is (finally) looking up
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

I don't see the lower pilot ever looking up. I could be wrong, but I think I'm seeing him looking the opposite direction of the upper pilot.
Isn't that the back of his helmet we're seeing in the final screen shot instead of the front?

Regardless, this is a good "lessons learned" for us all as we prepare for the more active spring flying season coming up.
Thanks Jonathan for sharing this video.
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

"Isn't that the back of his helmet we're seeing"...Yes and my initial comment was incorrect,
Seamusless

Post by Seamusless »

Goflyinstruments has a device with an ADS-B receiver on it. Even a combo Flarm/ADS-b receiver too.

Goflyinstruments.com
Martin

Post by Martin »

Spotted this GoFlyinstrument several months back, noted that you can even order a airspeed probe, looks to be chasing the Oudie market.

As a bit of perspective, In the cold ice covered hinterlands of Canada (pretty much all of Canada) ADS-B has not be implemented. ADS-B out is not yet making it's way into the cockpit and there is next to no ground based systems to link to, pretty much reliant on the Mod-C.... maybe when we finally get electricity and indoor plumbing we might get ADS-B and all of its magic?

Combined with FLARM you do start to add your gliding buddies to your traffic awareness. As the ADS-B US based mandates start to roll out, there should be a sizable portion of the traffic available for viewing. Combined with a air-band radio an knowledge of the airway and local unicom's you have a chance to call possible conflicts (position report that would at least get the other aircraft to "look" for you.....).

A very good article on what ADS-B "IN" can resolve (without having ADS-B "Out"). Maybe the GoFlyinstruments are the magic black box we are looking for? Who knows, maybe with more FLARM adaptation, the network ground support for ADS-B, currently feeding Mode-C data will have Full ADS-B systems feed data to the network that includes FLARM contacts... Magic.

https://ipadpilotnews.com/2020/09/under ... -trust-it/

Cheers

Martin