Health Care

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Andrew Vanis

Health Care

Post by Andrew Vanis »

Health CareTue, Jul 27 2021, 2:54:15 pm MDT
Not accessible
«Glen Volk» writes:

In response to your notice about Mikey I would say that you are right about getting yearly checkups. Certainly it would have made a difference to both Mikey and Rob. But so many Americans do not have the financial means to get proper medical attention.

I am no expert on health insurance but I know before he turned 65 Mikey struggled with the medical health insurance system as it stands. They do not make it easy for millions of Americans to have these regular checkups. Simple for you and I because we have medical coverage.

I don’t know for sure if this played a part but I bet it did. In any other first world country Mike would have had proper medical access. He turned 65 recently and told me that Medicare was wonderful and that he finally had decent medical coverage. But it came too late. I sure do miss flying with him.

Discuss "Health Care" at the Oz Report forum link»
Andrew Vanis

Re: Health Care

Post by Andrew Vanis »

Interestingly, I do not seem to hear complaints from users of medicare or medicaid (both government programs) and many complaints from those in private coverage.

I've heard numerous times the treatments folks have been saving up (delaying) until they become eligible for medicare.

No position on this, just an observation that came from this discussion on health care access.

.... There is a statistic like (and I'm sure I'm not quoting this accurately so someone correct me) that in the US the amount spent on the last day of life is greater than the first 20 years and the effect of the preventive care and action that could be had in the early years would allow for way more life beyond that extra last day.
LeadingEdge

Post by LeadingEdge »

The USA has by far the most expensive health care in the world yet strangely without the best health care outcomes.
Beardog

Post by Beardog »

PSA TEST
Glen Volk writes the health care system in the US does not make it easy to do these regular check ups. I disagree and say the following. Ever since Rob Kells passing I have made an effort and point to not let that happen to me. So even without a job and no insurance I still have made the effort to go to a lab like Quest and fork out between $28-$40 to get a PSA test done every 6 months. Easy to do and diagnostic labs are everywhere. Colonoscopys are a preventative service and are covered by part B medicare. Medicare pays ALL costs including cost of anesthesia. They cover every 120 months (10years) and once every 24 months if you have a high risk of developing colon cancer. Prior to qualifying for medicare most people are looking at one or two colonoscopys that insurance should cover if you have it. FOBT and other tests are available also. It really is just making the effort for you to do the PSA test regularly. No one is going to do it for you.
Over 20 years ago I took a class from Mike Barber at Wallaby. He was a good enjoyable person to be around . A person that touched many people’s lives. He will be missed by many including myself and he has left this place way too soon.
Soaraholic

Post by Soaraholic »

With regards to prostate health I read a brochure on the subject while sitting in the waiting room of a doctor's office. What I'm about to share is not a joke. It recommended frequent masturbation. Apparently prostate health is related to regular ejaculation. We all know sexual activity tends to wane as we age for a variety of reasons. My doctor says 80% of men will have prostate cancer at some point in their lives. He also says that PSA tests have been known to often indicate false positives. I still insist on having them done during my annual physical since an acquaintance is alive because his positive result saved him from aggressive prostate cancer.
I thank God each day that I was born in the age when man really learned to fly.
Previous topicNext topic