Hang Gliding banned?

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Plummet

Hang Gliding banned?

Post by Plummet »

I read elsewhere (FB) problems on some flying sites where 'Hang Gliders' are being banned while 'Paragliders' are being allowed.

There appears to be a recent case at Ringstead in the UK, a super coastal site that I flew about 35 years ago.

People should be aware that, according to the FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale / World Air Sports Federation), a Paraglider is defined as a Hang Glider Class 3. ie Paraglider = Hang Glider.

Here's the document - Section 1.4.1. Definitions of Hang Gliders, as per General Section
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files ... n_2021.pdf

Maybe the clubs who have this kind of problem should get themselves a decent lawyer, as trying to ban 'Hang Gliding' while allowing 'Hang Gliding Class 3' might be problematic in a court of law.

I successfully used this logic in an insurance situation about 15 years ago, so I'm sure it's worth a try.

Maybe someone can distribute this message to those concerned as I do not do FB - I can only read some public pages.

Thanks,
Don
Plummet

Re: Hang Gliding banned?

Post by Plummet »

Update ...
Well having now actually found and read the site guide for this particular site, it seems that the club is lucky that they have permission to fly there at all! Well done.

However I think the 'legal' classification of foot launched wings should be wider known and this might be helpful in other scenarios. Thanks to Bruce Goldsmith for giving me this tip originally.
Fly safe -
Don
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

Plummet wrote: Thu, Jun 17 2021, 03:54:32 am having now actually found and read the site guide for this particular site
Link?

So what did you read in there that had you change your view and how did your view change?
Plummet

Post by Plummet »

Site guide - I think this is it -
http://www.wessexhgpg.org.uk/Sites/Site ... eadBay.pdf

Site owned by National Trust, I think a bit like US Parks Service. A lot of general public access. History of incidents/accidents.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like a lot of these incidents could be paraglider (HG class 3) related. In spite of that it's PGs that are allowed and the other HGs that are banned!

Anyway, although it caught my eye, I don't want to get myself involved in this particular site issue, I just wanted to alert folk to -
according to the FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale / World Air Sports Federation), a Paraglider is defined as a Hang Glider Class 3. ie Paraglider = Hang Glider.
- as a possible alternative argument against people who try to discriminate between PG & HG.

I say hats off to the local club as negotiating any flying on National Trust land must be extremely difficult.
Don
UnTuckable

Post by UnTuckable »

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/r ... ecid=49390

"Hang Glider trail leads to a scenic view of Hang Glider Rock. No hang gliding is allowed."
Everard

Post by Everard »

All the 'logic' I have heard from those involved does not bear scrutiny. One reason I read is the supposed danger of passing on Covid-19, an airborne (aerosol) pathogen. Hang gliders, which normally fly there in a 20 knot wind, are banned while paragliding is allowed.
:angry:
I love the smell of napalm - in the morning.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Makes perfect sense.
A bureaucrat heard that the china virus was spread through bars, and then found out through Wikipedia that hang gliders have "base bars", which pilots wipe their deplorable hands all over.
Previous topicNext topic