$5 million dollar questions????

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Davis
Site Admin

Re: $5 million dollar questions????

Post by Davis »

That article is just a republish of what's in this thread already. You can find it above.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Jackson Hole Free Flight Club (JHFFC), The good news... they can get insurance! The bad news, they have to pay $15,000 to the extortionist. How does this differ from on-line hackers stealing your data for ransomware?

It is good news that excess insurance was made available and a underwriter was found but would it not be better if there was a national approach the the problem? How sustainable is it for the sport if every club and site has to pay this sort of fee? Worse, what wordings pair up with the this excess policy? New risk management plan? Mandatory blood donations? Proof of Vaccine? First child? ..... When does this extortion crush the sport?

"It is what it is...."

Good luck,

Martin
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Just to be clear, this is a national approach. It has been done through the RRRG. A number of sites have additional insurance requirements and the local pilots pay the extra fees required to pay for this additional level of insurance. This has always been the case, long before we started "self-insuring."
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Perhaps the flyin' gypsy, the hippie flyers, and the airport bum was right all along. Just fly. When the tax man, rent collector, and revenuers come knockin', be 80 miles downwind with a bad connection. Gas money and a granola bar, he's grinin' in the wind.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

We're living at the edge of civilization, but as the years have passed since 1973 many more have been forced to join us.
Seamusless

Post by Seamusless »

Too many insurance salesmen and actuaries out here at the edge of civilization. Maybe a few should take a jump (with a wing of course).

In all actuality, the only thing that will solve these rising insurance prices is if everyone decides to pool their money to cover healthcare costs. We need a public option or Medicare For All that we can all buy in. The only thing that drives these settlements higher and higher is the outrageous price of medical care and future rehab costs for any incidents reported to RRRG.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Regarding health cost sharing, there are some options in the USA.
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

What scares me is this "plug this into your car, well watch you, get a discount for less and slow driving"... One step closer to activity based insurance cost. If I sit on my couch why should I pay for your motorcycle wreck?..... If I work out and stay healthy, why should I pay for your couch induced diabetes or your alcohol induced liver transplant?
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

or what about "if I'm old and unproductive, why should you keep me alive?"
In the futuristic "Fly or Die" society, the council's decision depends on whether old Max can still foot launch or not. If he can carry his old single surface rag and bones to the edge, stumble off and soar, he's good for another year of food and medicine.
Mad Max rides again
BilleFly

Post by BilleFly »

I haven't bin here , for a while ; Dang, this Thread was a lousy
reality check , for where hang gliding is headed , or (outdoor Fun in general)
for that matter ! :(

Here in Vegas ; BLM has posted ,(No automobiles, or bicycles allowed)
on most every dirt road, within 40-miles of the city.

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!