A better view

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
DHMead

A better view

Post by DHMead »

Absolutely unbelievable shots!! In fact, I believed these HAD to be computer generated clips of hang gliders when I first saw them.

The drone technology is advancing so rapidly, and the camera technology for high definition images becoming so available and so easily edited these days, films like this will become commonplace.

I would assert that THIS could easily be a key ingredient in the resurgence of our sport. In the "old days" spectators and potential pilots could enjoy hang gliding "up close and personal" due to our limited range and the tendency for the entire flight to be easily visible from launch to landing. Then as our performance and experience increased, our accessibility and visibility began to erode to the point where spectators would be lucky to see the first or last 5 minutes of a four hour flight.

With the advent of ultra compact high-def video cameras and this new drone technology, we could have entire contests filmed, edited, and broadcast with stunning impact on an audience. Maybe, just maybe with positive and creative exposure like this, we might be able to regain the attractive visibility we once had ...
Arrive Alive
Remmoore

Re: A better view

Post by Remmoore »

I really enjoyed the vid, but it felt like the drone operator went a little too far in following the pilots so closely. It was dizzying at times to watch the drone's perspective wheeling through the sky. The vid felt more like what the drone can do than the HG pilots. Less buzzing around the pilots during their maneuvers, less diving after the gliders, and just pulled back a bit to give more perspective would be truly great, IMO.

RM
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Wow!
So the drone is looping too, that's wild!

It would be interesting to see a wide variety of perspectives,
by complimenting this style with what Remmoore said,
pooling away and keeping the horizon level,
and then zooming in some times even closer too the control frame, if possible.

At first I thought it's a follow cam.

Good luck, and looking forward for more exciting footage!
Scare!
Site Admin
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada (eh!) [49.8953,-97.1385,somewhere in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada]

Post by Scare! »

I really liked it too. My impression was that the direction of view was maintained by the machine to be always towards the glider (maybe there was a transmitter on the glider or pilot?), and that it automatically maintained its distance (maybe assisted by a variable zoom?), and that its motion around the glider was either completely handled by a program (a really good one!) or modified on-the-fly (har!) by a human on the ground. I did notice that the drone must've gotten really close to the second glider. Very well done!
Previous topicNext topic