Chatter on the radio

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
The Oz Report

Chatter on the radio

Post by The Oz Report »

<div id="1615639394"><i>Larry Bunner has a reminder</i><br><p>Hey all, just a friendly reminder to keep our communications in the air to the point and informative.</p><p>Today there was quite a bit of unnecessary chatter which can end up being a distraction to fellow pilots.</p><p>First off, I am guilty of it as much as anyone so this message is for me too!</p><p>The goal in xc communications is to share critical information so others can take advantage of it if so inclined. In the past if we wanted to share our good fortune, we would call out location (ie. distance from waypoint and cross track), altitude and climb rate.</p><p>On occasion it is good to call out a person by name (when they are in sight) to a good climb. When someone calls you to a climb, it isn't necessary to say anything more than "copy" so the sender knows you heard them.</p><p>When calling out a climb, it is very helpful to give the rate in fpm versus "I've got a good climb over here". Also it is better to share perhaps your average climb rate rather than the peak surge you are going through ie underpredict and let the pilots determine whether you are climbing better than them so they can make an informed decision regarding whether to stay where they are or to head your way.</p><p>If you are in an area by yourself and get a good climb, share it so others know what is out there. If you are at the tail end of the group, there really isn't any need to share critical information as everyone is out ahead of you.</p><p>I have to say it was awesome today having everyone's radio working and on the correct channel (my radio worked great Thursday, I was just on the wrong frequency, lol). So let's tighten up the communications so we can improve our group performance in the air.</p></div>
Martin

Post by Martin »

Radios.... At our local site, (Canada, 2meter) I check the radio (and frequency), then turn it off. It's pretty much has become a useless toy given all the noise created by other pilots and self appointed radio police. Endless bad quality communication, instructors, pilot "radio checks" and the pathetic efforts to follow and use proper radio etiquette.

I'm of course just as much a hypocrite for radio chatter but in recent years I have started to use the radio for position calls for safety but this has evolved to just keep the radio off... which, of course defeats the purpose of using the radio as a safety device. Pretty much leaving me with my SPOT and cell phone for emergencies...

Given how useless the 2meter option has been, makes me think its time to go back to the airband?

Martin
Ksykes

Post by Ksykes »

Martin wrote:
Given how useless the 2meter option has been, makes me think its time to go back to the airband?

Martin
And what airband frequency would you use? There is only one in the US for air to air (not sure in Canada). There are tons of unused 2M frequencies. Get a copy of a 2M band plan and find a duplex frequency that is not a national call frequency and not used in your local area. There will be nobody on it.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Ksykes wrote:
Martin wrote:

Martin
And what airband frequency would you use? There is only one in the US for air to air (not sure in Canada). There are tons of unused 2M frequencies. Get a copy of a 2M band plan and find a duplex frequency that is not a national call frequency and not used in your local area. There will be nobody on it.

2 meter?… what do you define as "tons"… not as many legit channels as you think, unless you decide to just ignore the band com allocation… (like most do)… and you would be surprised how many self appointed radio police are ready to pounce if you happen to use "their" precious chunk of the airways.

Even if you use the USHPA VHF, you'll find business jamming what ever you use (or the "tons" of unlocked Baofeng's in the hands of the public using what ever they happen to dial onto… )

Airband, you shut up and say only what is necessary so it keeps the chatter down. 123.4 gets shared allocation and when your out in the sticks not much useless brain dead chatter like "hey Bob, I got a good one over here" :-)

Besides.. Aircraft radios are for men with "aircraft"… not children with kites… :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comrade Martin
Rebardan

Post by Rebardan »

Tone squelch works.
Ksykes

Post by Ksykes »

Meant to say simplex, not duplex. ARRL band plan 146.40 - 146.58 (leave out 146.52 - national calling frequency, always busy) and 147.52 - 147.57. Think that's about 20 or so available. I've never had any traffic on any of them except once at the midwest comp, where I had a fun conversation with some local hams that used that frequency to rag chew. Was only me, one other pilot and our driver so had the bandwidth to answer their questions. Except for repeaters, 2m is dead. Repeater frequencies are the ones we really need to avoid. Ping a repeater and 50+ hams are going to hear you.
Miraclepieco

Post by Miraclepieco »

This is why I gave up radios. Idle chatter between drivers and pilots was the biggest downer I've ever experienced in hang gliding, incessantly interrupting the euphoria of flight. With 20 pilots in the air the noise never ceases, to the point it's almost impossible to hear your vario. Now I just fly XC with Life360 tracker on my phone and my driver arrives almost as soon as I land. Radios are really obsolete.

Rebardan is correct; while I was still using radios I employed tone squelch and had the frequency to myself. But if you're going to squelch out everyone else, why have a radio at all? Phone with tracker app is the bomb. The driver can view your progress in Google Satellite View and see exactly where you are, vicariously enjoying the flight with you! I can't believe anyone is still using radios (or as we used to call them, "Brag-o-meters").

Martin: I've also used aircraft band extensively; it's far too noisy if you're within 50 miles of any operating control tower.
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

Miraclepieco wrote:This is why I gave up radios. Idle chatter between drivers and pilots was the biggest downer I've ever experienced in hang gliding, incessantly interrupting the euphoria of flight. With 20 pilots in the air the noise never ceases, to the point it's almost impossible to hear your vario. Now I just fly XC with Life360 tracker on my phone and my driver arrives almost as soon as I land. Radios are really obsolete.

Rebardan is correct; while I was still using radios I employed tone squelch and had the frequency to myself. But if you're going to squelch out everyone else, why have a radio at all? Phone with tracker app is the bomb. The driver can view your progress in Google Satellite View and see exactly where you are, vicariously enjoying the flight with you! I can't believe anyone is still using radios (or as we used to call them, "Brag-o-meters").

Martin: I've also used aircraft band extensively; it's far too noisy if you're within 50 miles of any operating control tower.
true for solo flying (in places with cell coverage)....what would you recommend for team-flying to share in-the-air info?
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

2m working great here for us for team flying. We love flying together with our friends and helping each other out.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Davis wrote:2m working great here for us for team flying. We love flying together with our friends and helping each other out.
Team flying? I remember the day when men were men and aviation was an adventure for the gods… not wet nursing a bunch of spoiled cry babies… "oh I'm struggling… I need Daddy's help… where is my driver… where is the windsock…" endless radio drivel … got to go… my wife is coming over to smack me on the back of the head…

Martin