Your coverage

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
The Oz Report

Your coverage

Post by The Oz Report »

<div id="1615551253"><i>As a pilot you have liability coverage from the RRRG</i><br><p><a href="http://ozreport.com/emailer.php?toName= ... olosky></a> writes:</p><p class="BN">You are correct that the Florida flight parks are uninsured, as are any landowners for outlandings. We have never covered landowners for outlandings, and neither did the pre-RRRG policy. Landowner coverage requires the landowner to be listed as an additional insured on the policy, which obviously isn’t possible for an LZ that you didn’t know about ahead of time.</p><p class="BN">The *pilot* however, is covered. So if you cause damage landing on something somewhere, even if you launched from an uninsured commercial operation, then your liability coverage is the same as if you’d launched from a non-commercial site. This is also true of someone launching from Mr. Hanning’s flight park and landing at the TTT landing zone: the pilot is covered, the TTT (and Mr. Hanning’s operation) is not.</p><p class="BN">There are three main exceptions to this pilot coverage: 1) if the pilot is flying in a USHPA sanctioned competition for which Recreation RRG does not provide the insurance, 2) if the pilot is engaged in instruction, mentoring, observing, examiner, administrator, or tech activities as defined in the USHPA SOPs, and 3) if the pilot is providing services "for hire" or "conducted for compensation". An operation, activity or service is one provided or conducted "For Hire", or "Conducted For Compensation" whenever performed or conducted by a "For Hire Professional". This is true even if the For Hire Professional offers a free lesson.</p><p class="BN">We offer insurance for comps that will cover the pilot, the comp and the organizer, as well as landowners for designated launches and LZs. We also offer professional liability insurance for schools and instructors that will cover that case.</p><p class="BN">Please note that the above is only a top level general description of some of the coverage provisions, and this email is not meant to and does not change, supplement, modify, or constitute any insurance policy. To determine actual coverages, please consult the USHPA GL policy, copies of which are available to all members of USHPA.</p><p class="BN">I hope this clears this up. Please let me know if you have any other questions.</p></div>
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

I wonder if my general umbrella policy provides more coverage for me and those I might affect than the USHPA/RRRG coverage.
Ksykes

Post by Ksykes »

Andrew Vanis wrote:I wonder if my general umbrella policy provides more coverage for me and those I might affect than the USHPA/RRRG coverage.
Every umbrella policy excludes aviation. Read the policy.
Aeropilot

Post by Aeropilot »

As I read the language in the original post there does not appear to be much incentive to provide volunteer free ushpa support to other pilots as a mentor, observer, examiner or administrator if this statement is the latest rrg coverage exceptions:…

"There are three main exceptions to this pilot coverage: 1) if the pilot is flying in a USHPA sanctioned competition for which Recreation RRG does not provide the insurance, 2) if the pilot is engaged in instruction, mentoring, observing, examiner, administrator, or tech activities as defined in the USHPA SOPs, and …"

If USHPA expects pilots to perform volunteer/free support to ushpa pilots per ushpa sop, then our RRG GL policy should clearly indicate this is a covered activity.
Previous topicNext topic