Changes Coming to the Oz Report

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

The Oz Report will continue as a variant of its previous self on a new server that Scare has complete access to (without going through another set of service techs). We are figuring out how to get around the limitation of only 300 emails sent out each hour. We still have the limitation that it is not trivially easy for readers to unsubscribe.

We're thinking that the Oz Report doesn't necessarily have to come out every day.

We'll still continue with the Oz Report on FB as we have for the last three years.

We may be able to automatically copy the Oz Report FB posts to the Oz Report web site and email, but maybe not.
Martin

Post by Martin »

First off, I want to thank Davis for all the years of managing this forum and the Oz Report (ooops best not forget Scare!). I for one have appreciated the depth of debate and content.

The content of the forum has aged, fewer and fewer participants, less and less debate and content. Still, It's nice to have a place to occasionally discuss and debate, tho, much less than the glory days?

What I find sad with the drift to F-Book is what (to me) appears to be a lack of content. Keep in mind, (sadly) I have joined F-Book and really don't get it. The BS about "likes", the "people you may know" all click bate and the dumbing down of intellect… or is that "Twitter"? … Must admit… after nearly a week of trying to look at F-Book, I don't get it.

When I look at the F-Book Oz Page you see a recent post, usually a picture without comment, maybe a paragraph… comments seem to be dumbed down even more. They all just disappear without any meaningful life. It also seems to focus on cell phone addicts and their vertical screen formats and short attention spans… not much room room for expansive debate… not that we do that anymore.

It's been a blast to have had this forum, plenty of posts I regret but like a good debate around the camp fire or bar with a dozen empties fueling incoherent conversations the "Golden Age" is done.

Thanks and Merry Christmas let's hope 2021 brings us better times…

Martin
BilleFly

Post by BilleFly »

Martin wrote: ...

It's been a blast to have had this forum, plenty of posts I regret but like a good debate around the camp fire or bar with a dozen empties fueling incoherent conversations the "Golden Age" is done.

Thanks and Merry Christmas let's hope 2021 brings us better times…

Martin
I'm with Martin ; on this one !

Sometimes we get a bit passionate ; but in the end, i really
like a Good debate. I've learned a lot , from the people on this
forum ; gonna miss this place, but i refuse to join the face-farts .

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Why would you miss this place? It's not going any where other than onto the new server which is where it already is.
BilleFly

Post by BilleFly »

Davis wrote:Why would you miss this place?
…
I'm not going to miss , "This place" ; i'm going to miss the
way the content here , is presented .

Count how many times , links to face-fart are used in posts, made
on Oz, (a lot of people do that) ; but a percentage of people can't
read them , unless they join the group. Eventually it will get to the point
where the forum is useless to the non subscribers.

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

It's been well over 50% for two years.
Plummet

Post by Plummet »

Hi Scare,
I'm still getting the 404 error for all numeric links, such as this one:
https://ozreport.com/25.004
Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I assume you are still working on it, is that correct?

Happy New Year All -
Thanks,
Don
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Yes and also working on getting email working. This is all because we moved to a new server.
Plummet

Post by Plummet »

Numeric links working for me again now.
Thanks a lot for the good work.
Don
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

A lot more changed than we were aware of when we made the move to a new server. we are happy so far with the new mail system.

Now, let's get this pandemic over with.