Paraglider Pilot Missing

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
The Oz Report

Paraglider Pilot Missing

Post by The Oz Report »

<div id="1598453002"><i>In Nevada</i><br><p> <a target="_blank" href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qLV ... </a></p><p class="BN">Reavis 8:45AM Mon 24 August 2020</p><p class="BN">His last trackpoint was at 2:14pm on Saturday at 14500'. The strange thing is that it shows a speed of 2.4mph, probably too slow for thermalling or reserve drift. The leading theory is that he may have been separated from the device and it sent that last point in freefall. If that is what happened, he could have continued flying XC, thrown his reserve, or cascaded to the ground.</p><p class="BN">Benny and I searched roads along his likely course line yesterday and SAR started scouring the area of the last trackpoint. They didn't find anything last night. We should know their strategy for today in an hour or two.</p></div>
DHMead

Post by DHMead »

Any updates on this guy?
Arrive Alive
Nathanflies_

Saw this on the Paragliding Facebook Forum

Post by Nathanflies_ »

"James "Kiwi" Oroc is still missing after heading out on his paraglider in Nevada, US, and we are still looking for him - we have satellite imagery that if you have any time to help you could look at and report potential sightings to us. You can find it at https://9mile.xcskies.com/ - we need focus on the "DG Aug 25 Pan Row ??" layers - if you select one of these and you just see black you need to scroll out to see where the image is (usually to the north of the original point). If you click on the map you will get some co-ordinates and a link to a google spreadsheet to report the possible sighting. Any help is really appreciated! If you want to donate to the GoFundMe this is the link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/missing-para ... needs-help"

If anyone has some time to paw through recent satellite photography and possibly find something there's the link.
DHMead

Post by DHMead »

Thx. I'll try to check out the images.
Arrive Alive
Martin

Post by Martin »

The device was a InReach, very odd that the device "Stopped". If the battery died, I'm pretty sure the data would contain status/warning. Stopped suggest damaged, or blocked from transmission (or turned off). One question for administration of the InReach system, do they have any way to enhance the data from the area? Fringe weak signals may be filtered? Enhancing the data may be worth a look.

Good luck with the search....

Martin
Round Bird

Accident Report - Nevada Pilot Fatality - Aug 2020

Post by Round Bird »

Mario

Post by Mario »

Sad, although that is an impressive report.
Previous topicNext topic