Affordable O2 system.

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Richreinauer

Affordable O2 system.

Post by Richreinauer »

What are you using for O2, if you use O2 at all. How much is a typical setup? Any links to purchase would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Richreinauer on Thu, May 07 2020, 06:04:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blindrodie

Good to have air at any altitude

Post by Blindrodie »

I use an old Mountain High rig. It's works well, is simple, and has different settings for providing air but I can't get service for it due to age. Mountain High is the only source I know of, I'm sure there are others. Seems one could spend $500+ real quick buying new. I paid $250 for my setup- kanula, bottle, filling fixtures and control unit.

8)
Jim

Tow me up. I'll find my way down
Richreinauer

Post by Richreinauer »

Can’t service due to the age of the bottle? How long until that happens? Also, which bottle do you recommend? I’m looking at this system, but that’s interesting that they won’t service after a certain time period. Where did you usually get it serviced, and how much? Thanks! https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/o2d1-s ... el=AL-+415
Blindrodie

Post by Blindrodie »

The service no longer provided is on the control unit. My bottle is good forever I believe, save for the gauge on top which might need attention one day. I talked to the folks at MH and they said they would at least check mine out to make sure it still worked properly and controlled the settings available, but if it failed it was only good for the trash. No circuitry upgrades or parts, just buy new!

The link you provided looks just like my rig, except for the new regulator and control unit. Thay have come a long way. As for the bottle I get it filled at the locations that I would be flying. Typically in big sky country there are local pilots that have air tanks that are safe. Filling them can be dangerous. Some are very callus about getting them filled but I make sure I'm getting good clean O2 or I stay low and don't use it. Some pilots can get a local Dive shop to fill bottles if they are medical grade. Others will refuse due to liability. Find a buddy that dives and see if they can help.

The main thing for me is that I rarely fly were I would need O2 so that's why I bought an older unit. If you are flying where you will be over 15,000 often and for any extended length of time (15 minutes I believe) you should get a new(er) unit for sure. I hear there are some Cali pilots that like to use O2 at low altitudes as well because it keeps the mind thinking clearly. My bottle is still full so I plan to use it as soon as I can…

Good luck. Let us know of your adventures.

8)
Jim

Tow me up. I'll find my way down
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

I love oxygen starting at 8,000'.
Andrew Vanis

Post by Andrew Vanis »

#1 choice (that I don't have) is the mountain high set up electronic version.

the one I have is a medical pulse regulator. conserving since it distributes only on inhale. tanks are cheap or free at many garage sales. Its nice to have a few tanks filled for a trip or just when you don't; want to go to the o2 filing place each flight. put a manual on/off valve in the line so I can turn it on at what ever altitude.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Davis wrote:I love oxygen starting at 8,000'.
I like oxygen starting right at sea level... :wink:

Martin
George Stebbins

O2 rules from the FAA (Yea, we are exempt, but…)

Post by George Stebbins »

Note that these are all pressure altitudes, not GPS altitudes. That makes sense, of course.

From the FAA:
-------------------------------------
§ 91.211 Supplemental oxygen.

(a) General. No person may operate a civil aircraft of U.S. registry -

(1) At cabin pressure altitudes above 12,500 feet (MSL) up to and including 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen for that part of the flight at those altitudes that is of more than 30 minutes duration;

(2) At cabin pressure altitudes above 14,000 feet (MSL) unless the required minimum flight crew is provided with and uses supplemental oxygen during the entire flight time at those altitudes; and

(3) At cabin pressure altitudes above 15,000 feet (MSL) unless each occupant of the aircraft is provided with supplemental oxygen.
--------------------------------------

So,

0 -12,500 - No oxygen needed for crew / passengers - Have fun
12,500 -14,000 - 30 minutes without supplemental O2 is ok for crew; passengers need no supplementation
14,000 - 15,000 - Flight crew needs oxygen; passengers do not need supplementation
15,000 - infinity - All occupants need oxygen

I know that everyone is different. I used to know a guy who would get nauseated above 8,000 without oxygen supplementation just from walking around on flat ground. Oddly, he could fly to 11,000 ok if he got used to it during set-up. I appear to be fine to 16,000 for 30 minutes, and 15,000 for a long time. (But appearances can be deceiving.) I know I have issues above 16,000 feet. I recognize the symptoms. But I still use the 14,000 foot marker. (OK, I sometimes fudge for 10 minutes or so for a good climb, but stop at 15,000 and push on quickly. I recalibrated these altitudes last year, when I forgot to turn on the O2 cylinder, but didn't know that until after I landed. I could mark when I started to have issues by my decision style. It changed in the way I recognize. (Again, everyone is different. I know someone who finds everything funny. Another guy who gets paranoid. Someone else who just gets stupid. I get lazy/whiny and make decisions based on that - everything seems like too much work. Heck, my mother, who has COPD cannot even get on a commercial plane any more - her odds of dying would go way up.)

But:

I am warmer above 12,000 with oxygen, so it clearly matters at least that much.
I am less thirsty above 12,000 with oxygen, …
I just filled my 2 cylinders today at the local airport. $30 for 2. Worth every penny.
Fly High; Fly Far; Fly Safe; Dream Big
Previous topicNext topic