Carbon basebar repair

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Richreinauer

Carbon basebar repair

Post by Richreinauer »

Anyone know someone who’s done carbon basebar repair? I’ve got one with a tiny crack where it bends at the narrowest part. It’s still strong, but flexes a bit sitting on the cart. I’m thinking the damage is minimal enough, and the original fiber strong enough that it’s a good candidate for repair. Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Yes.
Martin

Re: Carbon basebar repair

Post by Martin »

Richreinauer wrote: I’ve got one with a tiny crack where it bends at the narrowest part. It’s still strong, but flexes a bit sitting on the cart. I’m thinking the damage is minimal enough, and the original fiber strong enough that it’s a good candidate for repair. Thanks in advance.
Of course this is only based on a photo, but I'm not sure why you would say the crack is "tiny", damage is "minimal" and the original fibers are "strong enough"? To the contrary, at least 1/3rd of the structure has damage and there will be an unknown amount of hidden damage (based on a rough assessment of the photo), so perhaps 1/2 of the tube is compromised. This also does not take into account the reliance of the the undamaged portion on the area that has damage.

True, the original fiber is plenty strong but the fibers are no longer continuous and are compromised. Saying its "still strong" is just being optimistic.

A repair may be possible but you will never be sure the part will achieve the original strength. Given this component is under substantial tension, you should replace the part and accept that owning carbon does have its negative side.

Martin
BilleFly

Post by BilleFly »

I repair carbon ; would NOT do that one, because after i blew
up the image , i thought i could see that about 1/2 of the tube is
compromised.

I would mold it, and build a new one ; and No i won't do that for
anyone but "Me" , because it would like stealing !

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!
Tormod

Post by Tormod »

This basebar is broken all the way through at least on the depicted side. DO NOT FLY until it's replaced or repaired. I do repair, but I feel it's necessary to beef up the repair making it thicker and with a tube inside. I've tested a repaired basebar by loading it and it flexed the same amount as a undamaged one. It's not easy work to do it right so if you don't have training in aircraft composite repair you shouldn't attempt doing it yourself. Also, the materials are expensive, a "starter kit" will cost at least 200 dollars, but it'll last for many repairs.
Vrezh

Post by Vrezh »

Looks like Atos ?
If so, it makes it a more likely candidate for repair,
depending on the degree of damage, of course.
I would go by what people who know the subject suggest.
LeadingEdge

Post by LeadingEdge »

It is not mine, but it has already been replaced, it is a WW bar. I too am curious about repair because I have a twin to this one that has been in my garage for 5 yrs. Always good to have a back up.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

My carbon base bar repair must be at least five years old by now.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Do most carbon fiber basebars for flexwings still have an internal steel cable as a safety backup?
George Sychrovsky

Post by George Sychrovsky »

Contrary to the OP assessment this bar is definitely broken and not airworthy, but it is repairable , the question is by who, for how much and how much a new one cost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.