Too hard basket

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Col.r

Too hard basket

Post by Col.r »

Whenever a new improved model flex wing hangglider is released its always a similar story…I really wish if possible, something more innovative could happen. One of my pet dreams would be a simple air brake setup, perhaps even available to sports gliders too. The ability to vary your glide into difficult lzs and in turbulent air would be a game changer for the average pilot. We know a drogue chute is a basic way to help, but surely being able to easily change your glide path, whether increasing or decreasing, or both, via a simple pull on / off cord would suit all. Anyone know how simple/effective those Atos with airbrakes are? I guess the faster you fly, the more effective too? Perhaps if a drogue chute was umbrella style you could open/close at will, partially too would be handy. I used to think this "dragbrella" could be stored in the keel stinger and repeatedly opened / retracted as seemed needed. I think though, this may adversely affect the aerodynamic integrity of the wing? Besides carrying our heavy hg, the biggest stress is landing them in adverse conditions and/or paddocks and arguably the main reason pilots drop out. Due to mostly age issues, I easily stepped down to a sports wing and was rewarded with renewed joy but some just fade away after one too many arrivals…
We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars. MT.

Youtube videos- Col Rushton
Previous topicNext topic