Very close USHPA governance re-vote

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
The Oz Report

Very close USHPA governance re-vote

Post by The Oz Report »

<div id="1559136826"><i>Ah, the country is once again divided</i><br><p>Alan Crouse, USHPA President, <a href="http://ozreport.com/emailer.php?toName= ... ations></a> writes:</p><p class="BN">Thank you for participating in the governance proposal re-vote; more than 33% of eligible members voted.</p><p class="BN">The proposal PASSED, with 1,484 votes/51.5% in favor and 1,400 votes/48.5% against. You can view the results on the <a target="_blank" href="https://secure.electionbuddy.com/result ... ">election service's website</a>.</p></div>
Christopher

No Mandate

Post by Christopher »

The Governance Proposal to radically eliminate representation seems to have past by 84 votes. That's about 1% of the total membership- yet USHPA President Alan Crouse has cast this as "the membership's decisions". With such a concerted effort to sell the proposal- what Alen characterized as "countless hours promoting" -such a fractional margin is nothing to celebrate- nor can acting on the results be justified by any suggestion of mandate. A few determined people can move a group to do all sorts of things- good, bad, whatever.

In this case, the very thinnest of majorities of a fraction of membership was leveraged to remove representation for… well, everybody. After that first flawed vote and very low participation, architects of this plan might have included casting a restructuring vote as part of membership renewal, resulting in 100% participation. Broad participation and the time required for such a scheme was not in the interest of proponents; a year of scrutiny would not have delivered the same outcome.

Now the EC will remain- of those who are promoted by our cast-out representatives, the Diversity Mechanism will be used to choose who among the elevated actually enter that select group. It didn't have to be that way- there could have been procedures for applying the tool blind… but that wasn't the designed-purpose, having been structured for arbitrary application, selection- an anti-democratic cherry on top of an anti-representative sheme.
Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

The most disturbing conclusion in this process has to be the lack of interest
by the general membership and the outcome of their own future.

67% did not bother to vote.

A group such as this is subject to the whims of its leadership since they
by choice abdicate their right to vote.

The members who refuse this right and responsibility do not deserve fair representation.

I am not sad for USHPA since a vacume of moral leadership exists not with the EC
but within the vast majority of this 67% of members.

Lazy apathetic cowards is a fair description, not worthy of being called a pilot.
A pilot plots their course and goes there. They don't loft here and there with
no purpose, those are frolickers who skitter about and get in the way..

This is why the EC has made this move and by the slimiest of margins won it..
Can't blame them for sizing power and cutting you out.

The EC has made the oldest display of human nature.

As for me, I have more important things to occupy my time.
So I will get to it and be posting here far less in the future..

B R
BBJCaptain

Post by BBJCaptain »

I wonder what the vote was before the 28th extension? Must have taken a couple days to round up 84 votes!!

H4 first flight 1979 on Cirrus 3
ATP,MEL, SEL, HELO,
Exxtacy 160, Rotor Vulto, Millennium #8
Angelo

Post by Angelo »

BBJCaptain wrote:I wonder what the vote was before the 28th extension? Must have taken a couple days to round up 84 votes!!

Quick, someone protest this vote; then we can vote a third time!
I have from time to time scared myself. Even at the height of my powers, I was not in good health. But a furious metabolism preserves my physique, and I am considered a tribute to evil living. - Thomas McGuane, Panama
Fly4fun4

Close vote

Post by Fly4fun4 »

I'm actually surprised that such a major change in a corporation can take
place with such a close vote. Not an expert for sure but would think any change
like this would have to have at least a big majority in favor of the change.
Beardog

extension

Post by Beardog »

BBJCaptain wrote:I wonder what the vote was before the 28th extension? Must have taken a couple days to round up 84 votes!!

Yup, I bet that extension was the game changer. That and the 67% of pilots that did not vote. I really felt the extension was not
only uncalled for, but was done on false pretenses. They gave 12 additional days for a glitch! If anything it should have been thrown out and started from scratch once again if they
took the process seriously. And why does their original explanation not sight the problem of a "GLITCH"?
"The voting period for the governance proposal re-vote has been extended from May 16 to May 28, 2019 at 5 pm MDT to give all eligible voters the opportunity to participate".
When I protested and wrote this to USHPA,
"Why are we extending the window to vote? I thought we were all adults here that don't need to be coddled all the time. Do you need to come hold my hand all day? Everyone knows when the vote is due, they should be responsible adults and vote. If they don't vote then they have nothing to say about the result. Do you want to watch over all the members and make sure they eat properly and wipe their rear end each day after they go potty? It is disingenuios to those responsible members that have followed the guidelines for the vote. Let the vote stand at the end of the deadline on May 16th. Quit playing with the results!!!!! If members can't find the time to vote before the 16th then extending till the 28th makes absolutely no sense. I guess the USHPA board does not know the meaning of the phrase "responsible individual". Most of us are responsible individuals and some are not. The ones that are not won't be voting on time. Their vote should not be counted. You have just screwed up this re vote for Governance Proposal a second time"
This was their reply,
Hi Bill,

A glitch was discovered in the underlying code that generated the list of eligible voters for the governance proposal. Out of an abundance of caution, and to ensure that everyone had ample time to cast their vote the window was extended.

Everyone involved on the election committee and in this process takes it very seriously and they are not making any decisions about this lightly. Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help.

Best,

Galen Anderson
Membership Coordinator
United States Hang Gliding & Paragliding Association, Inc.
719-632-8300 | 800-616-6888

Yes this looks fraudulent to me. And it seems the EC doesn't like or want us to stand up and piss back them. That is why the extension was put into play. Round up enough votes for us and it is a done deal. A real "fair" vote would have
done it right from the start.
Swift

Post by Swift »

It was a glitch in the computer.
$600,000 is needed immediately to fix it.
The good news is we don't have to beg or get anyone's approval for the expenditure.
We won't even admit to this. No more information is forthcoming.
Signed ... the Rulers of the Universe

PS: Your annual remittance of ... blank check.. is overdue
Sam Kellner

Re: Close vote

Post by Sam Kellner »

Fly4fun4 wrote:I'm actually surprised that such a major change in a corporation can take
place with such a close vote. Not an expert for sure but would think any change
like this would have to have at least a big majority in favor of the change.
Pat Halfhill wrote:an example of how important the electoral college is? how's that for gas on the fire!
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
ratings@USHGRS
Previous topicNext topic