How USHPA CAN work for you

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
LeadingEdge

Post by LeadingEdge »

Important to note that XContest.org is not a contest of who flew the most or who flew the furthest, it is a competition of who flew most/furthest AND uploaded their flights within 14 days.

If, like myself, you don't go over the summary of flying data, downloads, etc weekly or monthly, this competition is not for you.

If you don't upload within 2 weeks, your flight didn't happen - the end of the contest deadline has nothing to do with it. Sad they serve up this XC award with a huge side of lame sauce for the "winner" :lol:

I'm guessing their intent is to have some sort of leader board, etc. and not just an annual winner. I wish them luck with that. Extremely low participation as is makes this contest a "contest". :lol:
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

LeadingEdge wrote:

Important to note that XContest.org is not a contest of who flew the most or who flew the furthest, it is a competition of who flew most/furthest AND uploaded their flights within 14 days.

If, like myself, you don't go over the summary of flying data, downloads, etc weekly or monthly, this competition is not for you.

If you don't upload within 2 weeks, your flight didn't happen - the end of the contest deadline has nothing to do with it. Sad they serve up this XC award with a huge side of lame sauce for the "winner" :lol:

I'm guessing their intent is to have some sort of leader board, etc. and not just an annual winner. I wish them luck with that. Extremely low participation as is makes this contest a "contest". :lol:

It takes little effort to upload a flight.

It took longer for you to write your post than to upload a flight.

Every contest has a deadline to upload by, OLC, Leonardo. This one is no different.
LeadingEdge

Post by LeadingEdge »

hmm, ok but what does that do to help the participation? I only ask because it doesn't really seem to have any participants in comparison to the number of XC HG pilots.

Anyhoo, good luck with the "contest" :lol:
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Unless there's some invisible sand-bagging taking place, Cory and Kevin both have good opportunities to advance.
Sara is one to watch. League of one, but a real sport also.
Lanning on a PG? The end is near.
LeadingEdge

Post by LeadingEdge »

The rules prevent sand bagging for longer than 14 days. I don't think there is sand bagging. Just a lack of the best XC pilots in the USA participating.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

The sand-bagging rules should ideally be tightened up near the end of the contest. Maybe to no more than half the time remaining in the contest.

Many pilots live in areas that are not as XC-fruitful as others, so the lack of participation could be partially due to that. There are enough GIS and meterological metrics available now that those space-time factors could be included in the file, with the resulting overlay handicap then applied. This way, even a short distance flight in wintertime or on an overcast day or blue day might be worth sending in.

It's good that USPHA is promoting hang gliding by helping get the word out about these contests. It's a start anyway, and it's better than doing nothing.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Actually on Leonardo you can upload your flights years later. There just is no contest there.

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonard ... akeoff:all

http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonard ... iew=0_1772
Scott MacLeod

Post by Scott MacLeod »

Flymaster Live SD has its own SIM card and uploads flights automatically as it shuts down using cell data. FlySkyHy app can do the same with the push of a button.
Fly with a sense of vulnerability. You'll live longer.
Sam Kellner

Post by Sam Kellner »

Davis wrote:
I'm quite certain that all the USHPA BOD members, USHPA personnel, the RRRG volunteers, and Tim Herr have the best interests of the organizations and membership at heart and that they work hard to do the right thing. The problem is the solutions that they have come up with are killing the sport. .
Southwest Texas Hang Gliders
ratings@USHGRS