The CIVL Plenary at the sport class definition

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
The Oz Report

The CIVL Plenary at the sport class definition

Post by The Oz Report »

<i>Who cares?</i><br><p> <a target="_blank" href="http://www.fai.org/downloads/civl/CIVL_ ... </a></p><p class="BN">Sport class definition: We continue to discuss the future of the sport class in both Category 1 and Category 2. There seems to be little consensus, but the issues include purpose of sport class and then defining sport class pilots AND competitions. The committee is, unfortunately, no closer to having a definition at this point. Without some overriding and immediate need for a definition (namely, a proposed international sport class competition – either Cat 1 or Cat 2), this will continue to be discussed with so many different ideas from every side.</p>
winDfried

Re: The CIVL Plenary at the sport class definition

Post by winDfried »

You ask
The Oz Report wrote:<i>Who cares?</i>
I am quite sure, the current "sport class world champions", their sponsors and manufacturers do:
http://www.fai.org/civl-events/civl-new ... -5-a-sport
[Mario Alonzi (FRA), Piero Zin (FRA) & Balazs Ujhelyi (HUN)]

I guess and hope they want to defend their titles, …
:)
Cheers, W.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

As the article points out they don't seem to care that much. That was my point.

We continue with our ways and ignore that noise that erupts from Europe.
Sam Kellner

Post by Sam Kellner »

Davis wrote:
We continue with our ways and ignore that noise that erupts from Europe.
:thumbs up: … :emot112: … :36_8_12: USA
Lostgriz

Post by Lostgriz »

It's sad that they can't get something so simple nailed down. If you are considerate of what is truly best for the future and growth of competitive hang gliding, it is simple. Do we need another competition for the same group of pilots to compete in, or do we need one that will encourage and inspire new pilots?
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

"…we need one that will encourage and inspire new pilots."
Last edited by Davis on Mon, Jan 25 2016, 09:31:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lostgriz

Post by Lostgriz »

One big problem is that there isn't a voice or at least the right voice speaking/fighting for what the sport class could be. I attended and contributed at a meeting hosted by CIVL in this regard at the Worlds in France. Unfortunately most of the Open Class pilots don't see/understand the value in it and some feel like a Sport Class Worlds somehow diminishes from the Open Class Worlds; which is of course very short sited. Outside of our community, there are very few that care or know who our world champion is. Those that do know wouldn't confuse a Sport Class Champion with the Open Class Champion. Very unfortunate that the Sport Class isn't getting the representation and the support that it needs. It is very simple, only one of the definitions proposed for the Sport Class serves to grow our ranks.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Yup.
Stephane Malbos

Post by Stephane Malbos »

Somehow a few years back CIVL voted for Sport Class World Championships without defining who would run in and how. We ended up in Annecy for the first World with pretty terrible rules that allowed top gun pilots on top gun gliders.
The discussion we had in Annecy, as reported by LostGriz, was very interesting (see attached) but led nowhere practical, mainly because no one took the project any further and Sport Class is poorly represented within CIVL Committee. Volunteers ready to work are welcomed!
Basically, CIVL attitude now is to learn from Cat 2 competitions actually taking place, hoping they will come with innovative rules, and then encourage a Cat 1 organizer to come up with a World.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

We been doing this for years now. So has Colombia.

:D