Landings

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Javad wrote:RM, Mike and Blindrodie,

Your feedbacks are really appreciated. I am still learning and landing is an issue for me and most hg pilots over here. I am trying to translate and transfer these info to them as well. Here they say you have to fly at trim throughout your ground skim phase, which contradicts what you guys say and I think what you say makes more sense and I am definitely going to try and learn this technique.

RM, your note on the difficulty of moonwalk landing makes sense to me as we usually fly in rugged mountain sites.

Mike, that's a nice landing video! your idea about using airspeed indicator in landing is new to me, thanks.

Blindrodie, thanks for the note about vario. Mine is audio-only but some of my friends here have more advanced varios. I will tell them about it.

so far, I have usually ran out the landing or was lucky with flares but there were times that I messed up the flare. some because of late flare and some because of weak flare. So I will try trim+1 to see how it works for me.

Thanks, but I'm not saying to use the airspeed indicator for landing, Im saying use it and tuffs on the glider to see where you are trimmed at and and what speed your glider stalls. (Tufts aren't necessary, but can be a very useful tool)
How close to your stall speed you are trimmed, affects your flare timing.
The more you are trimmed above stall, the longer you will wait after "trim" speed to flare.
If that makes sense.
Javad

Post by Javad »

Ok, thanks for clearing it. I get it, find how fast the glider's trim speed is, so that you know the right time to flare or fix the trim if neseccary.
Remmoore

Post by Remmoore »

Javad wrote:...landing is an issue for me and most hg pilots over here. Here they say you have to fly at trim throughout your ground skim phase...
Javad, I think those two statements are likely related. Coming into ground effect at trim speed gives a pilot very little time to calculate when to flair. Having additional energy in ground effect can give you better control against turbulence or crosswinds, and should lead to better landings.

RM
Javad

Post by Javad »

Yes, I agree,I think when we are flying that close to stall, a slight change in the wind speed or direction can cause the wing to stall and close to the ground there is plenty of changes in the wind. It still feels kind of unnatural to flare hard a second after you hit the trim as I am used to the long ground skim phase at trim and flaring when my feet are about to hit the ground, but I see you guys doing it without problem and I am going to try it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic