hummingbird sail CO.North windham CT

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Brubakermal

Post by Brubakermal »

i am buying the hummingbird sail CO from north Windom connecticut and found two patterns for older hanggliders one is a
alpine 175 and the other only had the letters Kp or PK i think KP does this ring a bell? i am also looking for info on this orignal owner. thes MYLAR patterns are from the late80s mostly ultralight Honz the owner was a great guy i only met him one time but any info about this co would be great. i love history and realy need to know moor malcolm (989)-513-3022
malcolm brubaker MI sport pilot repair
BilleFly

Re: hummingbird sail CO.North windham CT

Post by BilleFly »

Brubakermal wrote: …one is a alpine 175 …
Alpine !!!
Same glider,"I Think", David Beardsley was flying that at Little Black
when i was first learning back in 77 ! Does it have de-flexors and
lots of double surface ?

Would have bin the S**t if they had figured out how to turn that thing !!

I'll need some sail-work when i finish the D-Tube's on my second Exxtacy..

Bille
GOOD RUSH !!!
Old.swamp.yankee

Post by Old.swamp.yankee »

I have a 1975 Sky Sports Bobcat II with a sail made by Hummingbird Sail Co. You can still see their logo on the sail. Sky Sports was Tom Pehghini's (sp?)company. The glider has a sticker from the the 1976 nationals @ Dog Mountain. Got a sears swing seat harness to go with it. No luff lines. Been haging in the barn for 30+ years.
Brubakermal

Re: hummingbird sail CO.North windham CT

Post by Brubakermal »

Old.swamp.yankee wrote:I have a 1975 Sky Sports Bobcat II with a sail made by Hummingbird Sail Co. You can still see their logo on the sail. Sky Sports was Tom Pehghini's (sp?)company. The glider has a sticker from the the 1976 nationals @ Dog Mountain. Got a sears swing seat harness to go with it. No luff lines. Been haging in the barn for 30+ years.
still looking into sewing glider sails will pick up the stuff next month. Is Dick Cheney on this list i herd he was a real glid head in his day. I'LL alwase be a stick head with 2 titaniem knees at age 49 but love to read john olsons stories. i was invited to road crew on the north american tour olie worked on several years ago. wish i wuda dun it . Anymoor about hummingbird sails would be cool . mal
malcolm brubaker MI sport pilot repair
puttputt

Post by puttputt »

Sky Sports was Ed Vickery's company, Tom did some early double surface design (remember the one with the big deep section bubble in the center section only?) Wish I could remember the names of those early ones. I don't know about the Bobcat, but by 1978 and the Sirocco II, Terry Sweeny and Rick Roelke were the designers. It was Terry and Rick that figured out that adverse yaw and anhedral are what really roll a flex wing. Don
Ron Gleason

Sky Sports gliders

Post by Ron Gleason »

I had a Kestrel B model and they also had a glider called the Merlin.

Tom also did some design work for Seagull

Ron Gleason
andylong

Sky Sports

Post by andylong »

Here's some photos of those early years gliders soaring at White Cliffs near Plymouth, Mass. There's Sky Sports Kestrels in several of the photos.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w74/ ... 1QQtppZZ16

Plus, a Chandelle Standard (me), Cirrus 3, Bobcat 2 (white glider, last photo), Seagull 3 and other assorted craft.

Ron Gleason was probably there that day too.

- Andy
Previous topicNext topic