Sting 2XC as a first wing?

A discussion restricted to the topic of hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
pegasus

Sting 2XC as a first wing?

Post by pegasus »

Finishing my training at Lookout Mt. and looking at getting my first wing. If you were buying your first wing would you consider a "Sting 2XC"? I want a wing I can grow into but don't want toooo much performance. This wing has VG. Sounds good as I aspire to go cross country someday. Is VG something I could just not to use until I'm ready??
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

My suggestion is do not grow into a wing. Sell a wing when you outgrow it.

Start with something that you can totally master. You need to grow your skills and having too much of a glider stunts your own growth.

The cost of an accident due to having too much glider is many times the cost differential between buying a used Falcon, selling it when you've completely mastered it, and buying your next level up wing.

Check here: http://www.ozreport.com/freeClassifieds.php
Lobido

Post by Lobido »

I just checked the classifieds (3 times) and there was nothing there. I'm on a Mac, perhaps that is why? I don't seem to have any problem viewing the rest of the Oz site.
I keep cuttin' it and cuttin' it, but its still too short.
Davis
Site Admin

Post by Davis »

Sorry, I just thought that there might be something there.
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

The classifieds are full of wings....thats where I saw the glider in question along with a couple of falcons. Great resource! I check it out all the time.
Rhysling

Re: Sting 2XC as a first wing?

Post by Rhysling »

pegasus wrote:If you were buying your first wing would you consider a "Sting 2XC"? I want a wing I can grow into but don't want toooo much performance. This wing has VG. Sounds good as I aspire to go cross country someday. Is VG something I could just not to use until I'm ready??
Hang out on launch and ask everybody that will listen these same questions.

For me, the Sting 2XC was an excellent Beginner/Intermediate transition. It is stable, boaty, with margenaly better performance at speed (in wind) than a single surface glider. It only flys fast with effort, even with the VG on; however, it's lack of energy retention compared to a blade wing will make it mutch more comfortable when setting up an aproach.

I feel that the performance range of the Sting makes it a safer glider than a Falcon, and you should expect to still be learning from it after hundreads of hours of air time. If you buy one from LMFP, you'll find that the VG cleat isn't affixed when you take possession; they are of like mind about getting aquainted with the kite before experimenting with tightening the sail.

If you approach this right, there will be years of flying ahead for you; there's no need to rush into XC. It was on my mind with EVERY flight from day one, even those that I had no intention of going any where but my primary LZ. You should look at XC like Looping- not something you expect to do any time soon. Don't be in any hurry- it will be there, waiting, when you are ready. It's my opinion that the Sting is a good vehicle to take your skills to that point.

-Christopher
Previous topicNext topic