Bruce Crandall medal of honor

For discussions not directly related to hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Old.swamp.yankee

Bruce Crandall medal of honor

Post by Old.swamp.yankee »

Not hang gliding but this interview is worth watching. This man is a real hero. If you listen he has surprising things to say about the conduct of the war in Vietnam.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Br ... &FORM=VIRE
Last edited by Old.swamp.yankee on Tue, Aug 03 2021, 09:58:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric J

Re: Bruce Campbell medal of honor

Post by Eric J »

Bruce Crandall

At least honor him with the correct name! :roll:
Old.swamp.yankee

Re: Bruce Crandall medal of honor

I’m embarrassed by the error. Can I blame spellcheck and not proof reading before posting? It isn’t the 1st time. I was in the Cav 66 to 67 in the central highlands in Vietnam and meant no disrespect. I was in line maintenance on chinooks and we had to fly into LZ X-ray @ night a few months later to replace the blades on a downed chinook. I heard the pilots cursing as we made our approach. There were tracers coming up @ us from the south Vietnamese rangers camp adjacent to our LZ!
(CRANDALL) saved many lives in that engagement. He points out that he was landing so close to enemy fire that 3 guys in his aircraft were killed with head shots. By the end of one day he had used 4 different UH1’s as they got too shot up to use.
Last edited by Old.swamp.yankee on Tue, Aug 03 2021, 09:59:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old.swamp.yankee

In any case it’s 1/2 hour long but well worth watching.
Eric J

Post by Eric J »

Old.swamp.yankee wrote: Tue, Aug 03 2021, 09:46:05 am I’m embarrassed by the error. Can I blame spellcheck and not proof reading before posting? It isn’t the 1st time. I was in the Cav 66 to 67 in the central highlands in Vietnam and meant no disrespect. I was in line maintenance on chinooks and we had to fly into LZ X-ray @ night a few months later to replace the blades on a downed chinook. I heard the pilots cursing as we made our approach. There were tracers coming up @ us from the south Vietnamese rangers camp adjacent to our LZ!
(CRANDALL) saved many lives in that engagement. He points out that he was landing so close to enemy fire that 3 guys in his aircraft were killed with head shots. By the end of one day he had used 4 different UH1’s as they got too shot up to use.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to be harsh, or even remotely imply that you meant disrespect. I was just being my Internet personality, A.K.A:
a dick!

That being said, I appreciate you posting this. I regularly watch Vietnam era Vets personal statements on YouTube. You guys are my heroes, and went through things I never comprehended until I was nearly 30.

I just found out, after my mom died recently, that her cousin whom we were only told was killed by a Kamakazi, was in fact a Corsair ace with 7 kills, silver star, a couple of air medals and a couple of Purple Hearts. I wish I could have known this sooner.
Previous topicNext topic