Why don't Hawks Fight Back?

For discussions not directly related to hang gliding.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

I enjoy reading about all the avian encounters. Many of us hg pilots have unique accounts that are worth sharing.

I've tried a few times to touch the back of a hawk while thermalling together. It's fairly easy to gain temporary trust with a hawk if eye contact is made at the appropriate times and durations during a shared climb. It helps to make appropriate bank corrections to remain in synch with the hawk, thereby letting the hawk know you're not a threat, but a team player.

The touch attempt must come late in the climb (or after multiple shared climbs), when the hawk looks away. The short-lived animal trust relationship is broken when the pilot jumps across the core and ends up above and just behind the bird. Typically, the hawk will look around for the pilot but can't find him. They're not used to looking up, so this is your chance to slowly reach out and try to touch the hawk's back. In theory, if done slowly enough, the bird won't detect the pressure change. This is where I've always lost patience and got too aggressive, at which point I'm glad that "Hawks don't Fight Back". A quick roll to inverted while showing claws and a rapid drop is the worst that's happened so far.

If anyone has touched a hawk's back while flying, I'd appreciate hearing about it so I'll know how to modify my approach. Thanks.
Blindrodie

Touchy- no touchy...

Post by Blindrodie »

I have to admit it would be tempting to reach out and touch a bird I was flying with, however is that not illegal?

8)
Jim

Tow me up. I'll find my way down
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

is that not illegal?
A pilot moving his arm and hand during a flight is not an illegal act.
Thankfully, encounters with ill eagles are rare. They are usually calm and peaceful, guilty of only high climbs and missed demeanors.

But, seriously, the answer to the question of whether it's illegal to touch a hawk while flying is "No". Here is the law in my state:
" . . . law prohibits the knowing and willful killing or molestation of hawks, falcons, owls, or eagles, or their nests, eggs, or young. The only exceptions to this prohibition are the taking of a hawk or owl in the act of destroying domestic birds or fowl, or the use of hawks, owls, falcons, or eagles by licensed falconers.

A. Except as otherwise provided, no person may knowingly and willfully, by means of any device, molest, injure or kill any species of hawk, falcon, owl or eagle, their nests, eggs or young.

B. Birds exempt from this provision are:

1. Any species of hawk or owl in the act of destroying domestic birds or fowl;

2. Any species of hawk, falcon, owl or eagle, except those species prohibited by federal law, when taken by a licensed falconer for use in the practice of falconry . . ."

Therefore, in my state, it's not illegal to touch a hawk unless said touching is performed during the act of injuring, killing, or molesting the animal. Because the sucessful touch must occur in a calm, non-agressive manner, without hostile intent or injurious effect, the act cannot be defined as molestation and is completly legal.
UnTuckable

Post by UnTuckable »

In the documentary video there's a hawk that attacks and catches a crow, and there are several videos on youtube of hawks killing and eating crows. So they do fight back in some cases.
Blindrodie

Tell that to the Judge!

Post by Blindrodie »

Because the successful touch must occur in a calm, non-aggressive manner, without hostile intent or injurious effect, the act cannot be defined as molestation and is completely legal.
Well I guess it would have to be on video...YMMV on this interpretation!!

8)
Jim

CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

There's a world of difference between a hang glider pilot soaring with a hawk and then gently touching that hawk on the back, compared against a powered paraglider jerk chasing and harassing an owl before kicking it. https://youtu.be/5p-LsJo6haY
Blindrodie

Oh Del, Never mind...

Post by Blindrodie »

:lol: :lol:

8)
Jim

CloudHopper

Hawk Touching Contest?

Post by CloudHopper »

A Nationwide or Worldwide Hawk Touching Contest could give hang gliding a positive PR boost. We could contrast the legal long-term quest by hang glider pilots against the modern owl-kicking instant-gratification types. The longer it took to declare a winner, the bigger the prize money pool might climb. A portion of the payout could be donated to a worthy cause (e.g., wildlife conservation, etc.). Multiple video shots would be reviewed by a panel to rule out fraud and verify the winner.

Prone hang glider pilots are in a unique position to slowly reach out and touch a hawk. This is because hawks usually don't look up and behind them. Pilots flying in the supine position will find it more difficult to touch a hawk with their hands because their feet and legs will be in the hawks field of vision too early.

Public Messaging that could be transmitted:
1) Hang Gliding is Fun - "I didn't know you could ________ in a hang glider." climb, thermal, fly close to hawks, fly with one hand, have fun, frolic
2) Hang Gliding is Cool - "I didn't think anybody still flew in the superman position. I thought that was too dangerous and had been replaced by seated harnesses with airbags."
3) Hang Gliding is Still Taught - "Wow, I didn't know I could just drive to _________ and start taking lessons." Rising Fawn, Davenport, Groveland, etc.
https://youtu.be/YDhRJfZ14wE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.