Best Plan to Save Sport of Hang Gliding

For discussions not directly related to hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

In order to promote hang gliding, we could be quoted in news releases as saying things like "I like climate change", and then go on to explain how we, as pilots, take advantage of it.
We like the cold fronts that push south during the summer, and we can ride the wave:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christopher

Re: Is that what we're doing- "saving" it?

Post by Christopher »

Swift wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Swift wrote:This is a conundrum.
Not really- the plastic bag over your head is just doing it's job. With any luck, the next faculty to go will be vision.
C o n u n d r u m, Christopher. Not condom.
There is no bag over my head.
It was only due to a lack of imagination that I did not proffer "condom", which would doubtlessly be an apt fit.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Christopher wrote:
Swift wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Swift wrote:This is a conundrum.
Not really- the plastic bag over your head is just doing it's job. With any luck, the next faculty to go will be vision.
C o n u n d r u m, Christopher. Not condom.
There is no bag over my head.
It was only due to a lack of imagination that I did not proffer "condom", which would doubtlessly be an apt fit.
Christopher, I don't remember what I've said in the past to set you off so much. I know it's been a rough day for the left, Russian delusion and all . Let me apologize for whatever I've done and lets get on with some productive discussion..
I'm not mad at you and would like your cooperation and ideas. Sorry to have hurt your feelings.
Tormod

Post by Tormod »

Funny how you point out how we need to focus on saving HG
while your really trying to save us from plant fertilizer. ðÿŽ»

That is CO2. ðÿ¤ž
I'm risking shutting down this thread by replying to this but this is the dumbest argument ever for continuing polluting of the air. (it's vaguely relevant because if the climate changes to much we won't be able to fly since we'll be busy surviving). If plants were starving for CO2 we wouldn't see an increase in the CO2 level at all because it'd be devoured by plants, but it's increased by 25% in a short span of time. Increased level of CO2 do benefit some plants and lead to increased growth, BUT in the process 150 extra gallons of water per pound of plant material is transformed into water vapor. Water vapor is the most effective greenhouse gas and this adds to the already significant greenhouse effect of increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. This only adds to the spiraling effect of increased temperature in itself. This "CO2 is food for the plants" BS is being repeated by politicians and others as an excuse for doing nothing, I guess we're in trouble.
UnTuckable

Post by UnTuckable »

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Swift wrote:Christopher, I don't remember what I've said in the past to set you off so much.
Don't look for a particular event- it's the warp and weft of everything your disgorge, nameless troll, that bespeaks a profound lack of sincerity.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

A good start on any sincere plan to save hang gliding is for hang glider pilots to just behave better in general. For example, if another pilot offers up an olive branch, we should assume it's a legitimate peace offer and make an attempt to build up from there. The wrong thing to do is knock the olive branch out of the fella's hand and then attack him.

I'll start by apologizing to any pilots who choose to fly wings that are different than what I like to fly. I currently prefer rigid wings, but I'll gladly share a good thermal or cloudbase hangout with any flex wing or paraglider pilot that might be there also. I might even say a prayer for you if we depart, asking that the remainder of your flight be rewarding, joyful, and safe.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I'm risking shutting down this thread by replying to this but this is the dumbest argument ever for continuing polluting of the air.
But it was a risk you were willing to take to label a valid argument as dumb.
If your argument is the only truth then the discussion of saving the sport of hang gliding is a moot point to begin with.
(it's vaguely relevant because if the climate changes to much we won't be able to fly since we'll be busy surviving).
Your argument is totally relevant if it is in fact true. It may be better to split those discussions off into another thread but since it comes up so much I would like to know how prevalent your views are in respect to other pilots?
Without arguing the theories of catastrophic climate change, how about a poll on what pilots believe or think they know?
My thoughts on saving the sport depend on personal investment aimed at helping new people coming into the sport by supporting instructors, who are the main asset of our corporate model. New members are the product and the salvation of the sport.

I have to ask again, what would be the point, if your AGW theory is correct?
I personally don't believe the AGW theory is correct and even if it were true, any proposed fixes that I've seen aren't going to change it.
If 100% of our .06% contribution to the total of .04% atmospheric concentration (.0024%) could be eliminated, would it really matter? And at what cost? There would be no hang gliding and there wouldn't be much else. It would take care of the perceived population problem because we would all likely be dead.

I'm all for a CO2 discussion in another thread but how about a preliminary count of how the thinking pilot lines up at this point in time?
Magentabluesky

Post by Magentabluesky »

There is a great harvest in many lessons to be learned in the Steve Harvey - Trump Video as applied to promoting Hang Gliding.

Watch the video and glean.

Since you brought up Trump . . .

Steve Harvey on the Donald Trump Visit

Yes, we need instructors, but we also need training hills. Cities and counties build skate board parks. Why shouldn’t those Park and Recreation Departments build Hang Gliding training hills?

This is building the "Field of Dreams" for future aviators in their communities for them.

Google Search: "grant money for parks and recreation."

There is money and landscape out there. Offer something, an aviation program for the community.
Michael Grisham
magentabluesky
1000 kilometers = 621.369949495 miles
Tormod

Post by Tormod »

But it was a risk you were willing to take to label a valid argument as dumb.
But it's not a valid argument because it's false. It's just cherry-picking of facts.

You break down the facts into small percentages to make it look less bad, but ask yourself this: Whilst 300ppm CO2 has an proven effect on earths climate, what does a 25% increase do?
Previous topicNext topic