Mark Stucky article in The New Yorker

For discussions not directly related to hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
Everard

Mark Stucky article in The New Yorker

Post by Everard »

Virgin Galactic’s Rocket Man The ace pilot risking his life to fulfill Richard Branson’s billion-dollar quest to make commercial space travel a reality — about Mark Stucky in The New Yorker, August 20th 2018

It's a good old-fashioned (long!) article. Good pics too.
At thirteen, he was captivated by another National Geographic story, about Californians who had taken up the new sport of hang gliding. The author described taking off from a hill above Newport Beach: “What can I tell you about this first step that encounters nothing solid? There’s nothing to it. This upward stride causes the jaw to drop and the mind to cease its disciplined churning.” Stucky persuaded his dad to split the cost of a glider. He made his first flight on May 15, 1974, near Wilson Lake, Kansas.
And for those who remember the 1986 movie Top Gun…
Stucky also was a showboater. In 1985, on a patrol mission over the Sea of Japan, he spotted a Soviet bomber in the distance, caught up to it, flipped upside down, got close enough that only a few dozen feet separated the cockpits, and snapped a photograph.
Dayem, this is a time machine:
…and Branson wanted to celebrate. He and his family, several publicists, a production crew, journalists, and such celebrities as Harrison Ford and Sarah Brightman gathered at the hangar…
That's Harrison Ford of Star Wars (1977) and Blade Runner (1982) (and the new Blade Runner movie too) and Sarah Brightman of Hot Gossip (dance group on Top of the Pops BBC series) and her song I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper…

:36_1_13:
I love the smell of napalm - in the morning.
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Regarding Mark Stucky,
His wife, Joan, accused him of having a “sickness” for flight.
We're in good company fellas.
Blue_Seleneth

Post by Blue_Seleneth »

Excellent read, and for followup, if you haven't already, everyone is required to listen to the Cloudbase Mayhem interview with Forger. It's mandatory!

:D
Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

Post the link please.

It's cool that Stucky was a self taught hang glider pilot!

Thanks for making this article known here..

BR
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

Thanks Cloudhopper,

The only and worst injury of Stucky's extensive flying career was a Para Glider deflation.

The blowback from that ended his marriage. Not test flying rocket ships or military
super secret planes, just a Para Glider. Seems his wife was done worrying.

B R
Previous topicNext topic