The USHPA BOD reform vote

For discussions not directly related to hang gliding.
Previous topicNext topic
CloudHopper

Post by CloudHopper »

Results of Governance Proposal Vote

Dear USHPA member,

Thank you for participating in the governance proposal vote. In total, 32% of members voted, and we appreciate your taking the time to share your opinion.

The final vote was FOR the proposal at 1623 votes (58%) in favor to 1176 votes (42%) against. Detailed results on the membership vote from the independent election service are available here: https://secure.electionbuddy.com/results/3LFCK2C75ZGT

We received two requests for paper ballots, but none were returned before the close of the election. Since there are no paper ballots to tabulate, these are the final results. We will provide a regional breakdown once certified by the election service provider.

While change can be difficult, we're confident in our members' decision that a smaller governing body will be more efficient and effective, better represent all of our members, and have a greater ability to try new initiatives to grow our sports and support all of our instructors, chapters, and pilots.

Because the membership voted to pass the proposal, USHPA's board size will be reduced at the end of the Spring board meeting in 2 weeks. This process will follow the transitional board plan laid out in USHPA's Bylaws as accepted by the membership vote. The existing officers will carry forward to the new board. Board members interested in remaining on the board will be nominated (or self-nominated), then voted on by the rest of the board. The diversity algorithm will then be applied to determine the result of this vote in order to ensure that all regions, wing types, genders, and ages possible are represented on the transitional board. Please note that all Regional Directors from regions that did not approve the bylaw amendment (i.e., voted against the proposal) will remain on the transitional board for the duration of their elected terms, with the result that the transitional board may be larger than 10 members. Since they will be carry over directors, they will not be eligible for the election taking place at the Spring meeting. In Fall 2019, an election will be held to begin replacing the transitional board to proceed to the new governance process.

We would like to thank James Bradley and the rest of the volunteers who identified an issue they wanted to change, then spent countless hours writing, revising, discussing, and promoting the proposal. USHPA relies on dedicated volunteers for much of the work that we do, and we sincerely appreciate their efforts to further the organization.

We know that this was a much-debated issue. If you are dissatisfied with the result of the vote, or with other areas within USHPA--volunteer! The governance proposal is a perfect example that volunteers can, and do, have a huge impact on our organization and our sport. We're always open to working with members to improve the organization for everyone. If you're interested in collaborating with us, please let us know through email or by filling out our volunteer form. You're also welcome to attend our Spring board meeting in Golden, CO in 2 weeks and to give us feedback there.

Thank you again to everyone who worked on the proposal, gave feedback, and participated in the vote. We're looking forward to continuing to improve our organization and to better serving our flying community.
DougM

Post by DougM »

32% members voted. Dismal. And the timing of the proposal couldn't have worked better for it's passage.

There must be a better solution than allowing a dictatorship to rule, along with their new, convoluted, obviously skewed for their own benefit, board membership election process.
If instructors and mentors have recently felt dismissed by our 'club' in the recent past, how is it that their support will be improved? I've only seen more and more hurdles to jump and restrictions placed upon them.

Why is it that a very small group of the board members kept pushing for this proposal, wasting much of the club's time and resources, when far more serious issues were at stake that could have been addresses by now?

And then, directly following the passage of this radical proposal, they ask us to volunteer for their purposes?! When we now have far less input? Does this make any sense?

I do not enjoy speaking harshly of the ushpa, but this club has gone far too far in the wrong direction.
Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

Doug, speak your mind as you see it.

If not now when?

It is very sad that the BOD including Mark Forbes was for this crap!
I have lost all respect for him..

It is even sadder that only 32% voted at all!

It's always the case that the activist crowd will vote.
Normal members who really make up USHPA did not vote.
Now they will pay the price for their melancholy attitude.

We are in a culture war in this country and that war is now here.
It has invaded USHPA in a full frontal assault.

I have no interest in an organization managed in this way.
It is contrary to real Aviation which is about serious science and
engineering and measurable results safely repeated..

This began with the inclusion of Para Gliding a lesser from of flying
than Hang Gliding… That is right! Read it and understand this!

This is why the SSA, Soaring Society of America would not include
HG within its Org! They did not want the culture of HG to take over SSA..

Logan R. is right about USHPA. He saw this coming from a different view.
Bob K. is also right about allot of his concerns but campaigned in the wrong ways.

This is the end of USHPA and Hang Gliding. Sad thing is that Wills Wing
may not survive the fleeing from USHPA. North Wing may stop making gliders
also because of this…

HG instructors and manufacturers are not happy and this is a body blow to them…

I am not posting any cute little pictures here. This a very very sad day…

I will not renew my membership unless I want to fly in a place where I have to.
I feel scammed and imbezzeled out of my money helping the RRG!!

No more USHPA support from me. Only the minimum amount due.
Every few years or less to keep my rating… Screw them!!! Not supporting them!!

Screw Mark Forbes also for using his respected influence to pass this!!
He acts like he is ok either way but he was all in for this and the coming wing suits!!!

Remember you heard it from me right here!!

A competing Org is coming.
Hang Gliding was taken over by Para Gliding period!!
If Hang Gliding is to survive then we must seperate and rebuild our own Org!!

If you loyal Hang Glider Pilots don't feel like your living in an occupied country
and forced to pay homamage and fidelity to the foreign occupiers then your blind!!

"Ben Reese…oh, never mind."
Last edited by Ben Reese on Sat, Feb 23 2019, 04:34:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Entelin

Post by Entelin »

DougM wrote:32% members voted. Dismal.
More than I would have expected for such an administrative topic. Most people I suspect don't really know what to think of it.
Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

To late now...
BBJCaptain

Post by BBJCaptain »

The RRG killed the Chapters in Nevada and now there isn't a single one left.
There will be new rule changes coming after this goes into effect and not one
of the new changes will be good for the HG group as a whole. I can see it now,
let your dues lapse 1mth and all the hard work you put in over 40yrs of flying
will be null and void with the stroke of a pen! :cry:
H4 first flight 1979 on Cirrus 3
ATP,MEL, SEL, HELO,
Exxtacy 160, Rotor Vulto, Millennium #8
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

It's the final steps of a slow moving coup d'état. James Bradley in his post-passage spin has the audacity to claim removing regional directors will result in more representation for the now unrepresented members of those regions. Imagine if Mitch McConnell proposed reducing the Senate to a few select States- that's what Bradly is celebrating. Of course, he doesn't stop there- he's got the nerve to suggest a relatively thin majority of a fraction of members constitutes a mandate. "It wasn't me- it was the members." He plays Janus, the two-faced god, one mouth saying decisions will be easier to make without those meddling directors, as the other mouth proclaims how much they want and value member input. Completely disengenius, Janus. Whether he expects us to swallow that bullshit or says it knowing how transparent a lie it is doesn't matter, the end result is the same: utter contempt.

I'm done. I worked hard to canvas for the RRG. You've converted me into a foe. I view the board and Executive Committee as adversaries. Let's say a very dedicated group of members craft a proposal to restore a representational board- it doesn't matter how much support the membership has for the proposal, it will never get past their cabal.
Last edited by Christopher on Sat, Feb 23 2019, 08:13:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

…and another thing:
Mgforbes wrote:I already know Tiki's going to vote no on this. That was clear a year ago, long before the draft proposal was done. She's been opposed to this from the outset, and it's certainly her right to feel that way. I was hoping that she'd reconsider based on the final draft proposal.
That's because she recognized a bad idea- something unchanged by embroidery or clever machinations. That she was able to do so is because her priority is not her partisan interest. Your narrative of her predisposition reflects WELL on her- do you get that? Contrary to what you've suggested, this is not evidence of a lack of consideration. Her advocacy has always been the sport, and, because of that, instructors. During the RRG structuring, it would have been an easy thing, given her position, for Tiki to throw her support behind proposals that would have advantaged her at the cost of smaller schools and part time instructors. What did she do? She championed those otherwise unrepresented instructors. She and those like her were, of course, outnumbered- and now your click have contrived a way to purge dissenting voices entirely. Y'all have taken my representative from me. Insert obscenity here.

I'm angry. I'm disgusted. And I'm the worst sort of disappointed- in people.

'If only we didn't have these members to contend with- we could really get stuff done.' Careful what you wish for, Mark.
Ben Reese

Post by Ben Reese »

Well Christopher,

I appreciate your comments above, well done..

There are bigger issues here than our differences.

If I could go back into a few threads and delete some stuff I would.
Unfortunaly the topics are now locked..

If Davis is willing to un-lock those topics I will reverse my derogatory comments
about you. You are invited to do the same.. Then Davis can lock it back up…

This cause to save HG requires a new approach and spirit of cooperation.

Hang Gliding needs all of us if it's going to survive and thrive..

I as well am now an advasary of USHPA under its current structure..

However I feel that Para Gliding and HG cannot share an Org..

They can share flying sites but we must seperate to insure this never happens again.

Our future must be ours in our style of flight.

I am done arguing with people here. In our own Org there will be no need to argue.
I want a higher level, more professional and courteous dialog for the new Org.

I have a professional side that has rarely been seen here.

The Trump posts were me having fun. I am supportive but not really so all in.

Let's raise the bar from now on.

If we can then no one else will have an excuse not to from now on.

Let's be honest and only present facts and evidence for our views.

Projecting into the future ideas and outcomes is a true skill.

I want you to feel free to think outside the box without ridicule..

Also I want the same for myself.

You are a good writer and communicator when you focus on issues more and people less.

I am not as good a writer but I get my thoughts across in creative ways, better without attacking harshly..

Together I think others here and us, can counter formadible influences giving MGF and Bradley a headache.

Maybe we can all turn this ship around? I honestly don't know..

Wether you agree or not, I will make this change for the benefit of all..

Ben Reese
Previous topicNext topic